Registering for the Contest
Everyone must register to enter Best of Photojournalism 2015.
To do so, simply click the Register Now button on the contest home page.
Once you’ve registered,
- Click the My Account link at the top of the page.
- Look for BOP in the list of contests you have registered for on the My Account page, and click the Submit Work button.
- You’ll be logged in to the contest server and shown a list of enterable contests.
- If you registered for BOP, it should be first on the list. Click View My Entries to see your files, and Enter Now to upload a clip.
The first time you upload a file, you will be asked to enter the name and email address you want to use for the contest, and agree to the contest rules. When you do so, you will be issued with an 8-digit Contest Identification Code, which will serve as your ‘name’ for the contest.
Note that if you are entering more than one division of the Best of Photojournalism competition (for example, Video and Multimedia), you only need to register once: you can use the same Contest Identification Code for all divisions.
General Rules (How to Enter)
- Entries must have been originally broadcast or posted between January 1st and December 31st, 2014.
- Entries will be accepted beginning January 5th, 2015, and must be received by 3PM EST on January 23rd 2015.
- Any entries received after the deadline will NOT be accepted.
- There is to be no re-editing of any piece.
- There is no penalty to the entrant if file or historical video is used. File video is defined as video that has previously aired in a newscast, video that originated from a network feed, and stock video that was shot previously that may or may not have already aired. File video includes surveillance video, amateur video, VNR’s, or any other video not originating with the entering photojournalist. Any questions about the use of file video will be left to the discretion of the judges. File video can not exceed more than 10% of total story run time.
- Some stories might fit in more than one category, but you may only enter any story once. Failure to follow the rule will result in the disqualification of the entry.
Preparing Your Entry
- All entries should be submitted online. Clips should be uploaded using the online entry form.
- All entries should be compressed for smooth playback online. Videos should be compressed as H.264 (please do not use High Profile features) at 640×480 (or 640×352 for widescreen clips), and a bitrate of 1024 kbps or less. If you already have a video compression tool that you’re familiar with, use it. If you don’t, Handbrake is a popular choice.
- Eliminate any slate or title showing your name, station, website, newspaper, or city that may be at the beginning or end of each entry. Failure to do so will disqualify the entry. Station reference is only permitted in the Station of the Year air check and Deadline Photography entries that include live shots (including Deadline Photography stories submitted as part of an Ernie Crisp Television News Photographer of the Year or Station of the Year entry).
- The online entry form must be submitted for each entry. Clips will be saved to the contest server, and compressed if needed. In order to create space on the server for more submissions entries are pulled down and saved reguarly. If your entry has been pulled down it will not allow your video to be previewed but if it shows on your entry list it has been submitted.
- For Station of the Year and Ernie Crisp Television News Photographer of the Year entries use only the date of the first story in the date field. Using text or a series of dates will cause an issue with the upload.